Learn about our hospital-based, pharmacy residency programs that enable you to develop medication-management skills to care for adults and children.
Information about our pharmacy residency programs
Our program exposes you to pharmacy practitioners who challenge you to excel and build on your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education. The residency features a robust curriculum, research and teaching opportunities, and strong clinical training that prepares you to be an integral member of a practice or hospital team.
Our pharmacy residencies
We train you to help the wide variety of patients who come to us for care. You'll become a skilled practitioner under our instructors and clinical training.
Hospital-based pharmacy residency
Our hospitals feature residencies that provide a unique exposure to healthcare education, division leadership, private practice management, fellow residents and most importantly, high-quality patient-centered care.
Our hospitals with residency programs include:
- HCA Houston Clear Lake — Program offers a 1-year residency and the opportunity to obtain your Texas State Board of Pharmacy preceptor license during the second half of the residency year.
- HCA Houston Kingwood — Hospital offers a 1-year residency plus a 2-year, Master of Science in Pharmacy Administration and Leadership residency.
Your training will offer exposure to core specialties in cardiology, critical care, emergency medicine, hospital pharmacy practice management, infectious diseases, internal medicine and private pharmacy practice management.
Also, we offer a wide range of electives, such as:
- Antimicrobial Management Program
- Critical Care – cardiovascular/neuro ICU
- Critical Care – pediatrics and neonatal ICU
- Critical Care – trauma ICU
- Gulf Coast Division Pharmacy Leadership and Clinical Services Program
- Healthcare improvement and innovation
- Information technology
- Internal medicine II
- Medication use policy
- University of Houston College of Pharmacy – Academia Program
Salary and benefits
Detailed information about salary, benefits and amenities will be provided to pharmacy residents by Human Resources. In general, you can expect:
- Competitive salary
- Private office space
- Premium medical/dental/vision insurance
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- 401(k) plan
- PTO accrual
- Free parking
- Discounted meals
- BLS, ACLS and PALS certifications are offered by HCA Healthcare at no cost
- Education and professional leave for:
- ASHP Annual Midyear Clinical Meeting
- ALCALDE Regional Residency Conference
- Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Discounts and amenities: Residents are eligible to receive a wide variety of entertainment, health, and other discounts via HCA Rewards
Applying to our program
Applicants must be graduates or candidates for graduation from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education-accredited School of Pharmacy or have a Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee certificate from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. Foreign-educated pharmacists must earn their professional degree from a five-year curriculum program.
Visit our pharmacy residency program pages to learn how to apply to the specific program you're interested in.